Thursday, October 05, 2006

Catching Up: The Job Situation

As previously stated, I quit my job last week. With a baby on the way, Meredith and I decided that the best thing for the baby would be if Meredith could stay home to take care of it. It just didn't make sense to drop our newborn off at a daycare and then have Meredith go to work at another daycare. (No, they don't take newborns at GARCS.) Besides, we believe there's a mold problem there, which has been affecting my asmastic wife. Problems that cannot be solved by a Catholic school teacher's salary. So I resigned in order to re-enter the technology workforce, where the pay and benefits are significantly better.

Will I miss teaching? Of course, but I have to do what's best for my family. Plus I plan on eventually returning to teaching once I've completed all the necessary coursework for licensure. Besides, the truth is I had major reservations in the direction the school was going in. A new principal came on the job last July, and although he's a bright man with big aspirations for the school, I can't agree with a lot of his philosophy and actions. (Elementary students don't need to learn computers? What?) To his credit, he made my resignation very pleasant by paying me an extra month's salary, ensuring that all our bills will be paid through November.

So far I've had some good prospects, and I feel my unemployment will be a brief one. In the meantime I job-hunt, clean the house, and watch the baseball playoffs (Go anyone but the Yankees!) I'll keep you all posted!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home