Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Adventures In IT #4: Dinosaur

Some people are very attached to their computers. I understand this, and to a degree I respect it. However, sometimes you need to learn to let go. Recently an older gentleman brought in his computer for repair. It was a Pionex 486. Now the computer geeks among you now what nature of beast I get to deal with when I say "486". He's had this computer since 1993, which makes it ancient in computer years.

To put it in perspective, here's an incomplete list of components that are currently obsolete:
*
5.25" floppy drive


*serial mouse port

*turbo button

*16MB memory sticks

How this thing lasted so long I'll never know. The only reason he brought it in was because the CMOS battery had finally started to go. I hope I can get this running, for no other reason than to see if it's running Windows 3.1

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home