Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Augusta County Fair


Just got back from a evening at the county fair. It was alright, just like every other small county fair I've been too. The outing was actually a part of Meredith's job. The place she works for took some of the teens out for the opening night of the festivities. Everyone got to bring a friend, and I was Meredith's.

The evening started with my wife and I driving in a van with 5 teenage girls. I couldn't help but feel I was getting a glimpse of my life 13+ years from now, when I'll be driving around teen Victoria and her circle of friends. Let me tell you, I do not miss all that high school drama! The girls were well behaved at least.

It was my first trip to this particular county fair, and I was generally unimpressed. It was maybe half the size of my hometown's county fair, and I was never impressed with that one either, to put it in perspective. They had a few rides which were your run-of-the-mill stuff - you spin, you twist, you drop from a safe height, etc. (Although I was rather impressed with this one young lady who was on a ride called the Tornado who proceeded to text on her phone while spinning around at dizzying speeds.)

The food was rather disappointing. The funnel cake, a favorite of mine, seemed bland, and the lemonade was little more than sugar water with half a lemon in it. It's fair food, so you shouldn't expect high quality, but when you shell out $14 for two cups of lemonade (with refills), I prefer not to suck down pulp and seeds.

The highlight for me was the fireworks display, which was pretty good considering everything else. Then again, when it comes to fireworks, I'm easy to please.

If nothing else, it was a nice distraction from the ordinary weekday night. And although it was way to expensive, my wife was on the clock, so we pretty much broke even.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home