Sunday, January 21, 2007

Finally!

It finally snowed here in Staunton today! Actual, stick to the ground, brush off my car, white precipitation. I was excited to see it. I have never gone so long without seeing it. Even when I went up to NY for Christmas, Dunkirk had a dry spell. Now that I've got it out of my system, I can look forward to Spring.

I'm still not used to winters here. Growing up, a foot of snow is nothing, especially when you have to drive. The roads are almost always well paved and people in cars know how to handle it. Here, we get a couple inches and I dread going outside. The abundance of hills makes driving on a thin layer of snow more exciting than I care for, and that doesn't even take into account the people on the road here who think they can still drive at normal speed without their lights on. If it snowed here consistantly maybe I'd get used to it, but in the 2 winters I've spent here I haven't had much chance to adapt. I hope I can get used to downhill sliding and uphill skidding without having to worry about the safety of my pregnant wife or, come next year, infant child.

For now I'll stay home, drink tea, and enjoy the football games.

2 Comments:

At 1/22/2007 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry you guys can't be up here for Pickup's superbowl party.

 
At 1/28/2007 6:39 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Yeah, every year I try to enjoy the Super Bowl, but it just doesn't measure up. Tell the gang I said Hi.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home